Monday, February 11, 2019

Mugged

I’ve found that as I’ve aged I’ve cultivated a fine sense of particularity that some people mistake for crazy.
The good news is, I’m not the only one who has this going on. This whole conversation was sparked because my sister is thinking about getting some mugs. (She’s currently using the teacups that go with the china she inherited. Which is a whole different story in and of itself.)
This got me thinking of my mugs. What I have, which ones I use, and why. 

From left to right:
Fiesta Dinnerware Tea Cup- I have them because they’re darling. They come in every color. Someday I might even have a tea party and we shall drink tea out of them poured from my Fiesta Dinnerware tea pot. Tea cups are too small for daily use because it’s not enough caffeine in a morning and there’s not enough room for a tea bags worth or water. 
Fiesta Bistro Late Mug- I purchased and returned this mug before committing to it. It’s 12 oz. I actually really like how the flare at the top fits into my hands. It’s for at home, chair sitting tea sipping. 
Starbucks Reusable Plastic Cup- Another 12 ouncer. For days you need a lid. Like at work. When you’d like to keep people from mouth breathing or sneeze spraying onto your beverage. It is to be used in the moments when you intend to drink the carried beverage promptly and or are counting on the warmth from the beverage to heat your hands. The one pictured is a favorite of mine from Valentine’s Day last year, and prompted lots of pontifications. The interest in this style of cup started because they only cost $2 and this sort of negates the fear of losing a fancy to go cup. Also I have many of them which delays the need to do dishes. :)

Fiesta Dinnerware Java Mug- comes in their traditional dining set. They’re not quite perfect for tea (only 8 oz I think) but would be good if you drink coffee. Here’s the thing, coffee drinkers and tea drinkers have different mug specifications. Coffee drinkers can constantly pour out of a warm pot, or give themselves a warm up. With tea you only got one shot, do not miss your chance, this opportunity comes once in a morning...
So these mugs live in my cabinet because if I’m hosting fall knit night I must have enough for everyone. And these look great. Or what if we’re doing something holiday-ish and hot chocolate is being consumed. I know. What are the odds. But they’re there, however slight. 

Last is my Tervis with a magnetic lid that comes entirely apart for optimal dishwasher cleaning. It was gifted to my by Bobby a couple years ago and is still going strong. It’s ALSO 12 ounces though this cup keeps things hot and so the liquid inside will not be drinkable for 30 minutes to an hour and will maintain drinkable temperature for about 3 hours. This is the cup that holds the second cup of tea on a teacher training day, or road trip day. This mug is labeled with my first name, last name and phone number to increase the odds of having it returned to me should I set it down and walk away. Don’t laugh it works 

Now that you’ve heard all that impeccable reasoning just TRY to find the crazy in that. Well. Maybe don’t. But seriously...don’t you have favorite mugs? Which ones are yours? And why?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my favorite mug is the one I bought at Magnolia over a year ago. The upside is the size. The downside is that my coffee gets cold before I drink it all. But I just keep reheating it. Because...I love the mug and the memories of going to Magnolia with my best friend.

    ReplyDelete